Monday, April 20, 2009

So Many Beads, Rocks, Gems and Stones...So Little Time!



“So many beads, rocks gems and stones…so little time!”

Let’s start with one of my all time favorite stones on the planet and it’s found right here in Australia. It’s called Prehnite, and most of what I buy comes from Wave Hill Station in the Northern Territory. I first came across this lovely stone several years ago at a local rock and gem show and fell in love with it. It’s a strange yet beautiful yellowish-greenish-cloudy-to clear colour, depending upon what part of the rock is cut and polished. One of the things I love the most about this stone, is the variety of colors and patterns all from the one rock…of course part of the magic is in the cut and polish or facet and that’s where my pals come in…we’ll call them Paul and Ken. I met these two fellas’ at a local rock show and we’ve become fast friends. Paul digs, cuts and polishes or tumbles the stones, an incredible labor of love and patience. Ken chooses to cut and facet the Prehnite he works with and I usually set these beauties as rings.

I am often asked if I have a certain jewellery design in mind when I buy my stones and gems, and I must confess the answer is no. When I am presented with for example a tray of Prehnite stones, I could never limit myself to whatever designs I might have swirling thru’ my head that particular day. Rather, I choose each stone like a child in a candy shop…carefully selecting each lolli for colour, size, texture and my very own visual feast. I might go back to my studio Harmony House that day and work with the stones, or they might get mixed in with hundreds of other stones and gems, for another day, another inspiration, another design.

One of the best parts about what I have chosen to do with my life and work, incorporates meeting and working with so many lovely people, young and old, from all walks of life!

Flash!
Prehnite is regarded as a rare precious gem and Australia has about 90% of the world's resource of this beautiful gemstone.

3 comments:

Karin said...

Your jewelry (the English spelling :-) reflects your inner and outer beauty as well as the colorful way you see life and the precision in which you live it. When I wear your incredible creation I feel my power as a woman and I'm in touch with my goddess spirit. The "wows" I recieve constantly only reinforce its amazingness.

Karin said...

Your jewelry (the English spelling :-) reflects your inner and outer beauty as well as the colorful way you see life and the precision in which you live it. When I wear your incredible creation I feel my power as a woman and I'm in touch with my goddess spirit. The "wows" I recieve constantly only reinforce its amazingness.

Lenore said...

Well said Karin.
I also love wearing Renee's creations, very special.